Thermal Hanger Shields & Inserts
Section: Hangers and Supports
- Thermal hanger shields shall be used on all horizontal insulated pipe systems at each point of support. Manufactured units shall comply with MSS SP-58 standards and be tested per MSS SP-89 guidelines. Each assembly shall closely fit the various pipe diameters and match the outside diameter of the adjoining pipe insulation.
- Thermal hanger inserts shall be calcium silicate with a minimum compressive strength of 100 PSI. The insert shall be jacketed with industry standard, non-reactive, all service jacket as a vapor barrier. ‘Water-resistant coatings’, which do not provide a vapor barrier, shall not be allowed. A vapor barrier mastic of a contrasting color may be used (i.e. Childers CP-30 or MEI 55-10 or equal), providing the longitudinal seam is field-sealed during installation.
- A rolled shield of G-90 galvanized steel shall be an integral part of the unit and shall be of a gauge and length appropriate for the compressive strength of the insert material and type of hanger.
- Insulation and vapor barrier jacket shall extend beyond the galvanized steel shield to provide a complete, neat and vapor-tight seal with the adjoining insulation.
- Hanger types and span between hangers shall govern the type of thermal hanger shield used and shall be as follows:
- Band-type hangers to 10 foot maximums (clevis, teardrop) – Value Engineered Products’ (V.E.P.) Pro-Shield, Pro-Shield N.T., Quik-Shield or equal.
- Roller-type hangers, regardless of hanger spans – Value Engineered Products MaxSpan R.H. or equal.
- Band-type hangers with spans greater than 10 feet* – V.E.P.’s MaxSpan units or equal.
- Trapeze style and other clamping-type supports to 10-foot maximums – V.E.P.’s Pro-Shield or equal.
- Trapeze style and other clamping-type supports exceeding 10 feet* – V.E.P.’s MaxSpan units or equal.
- Individual components shall not exceed a Flame Spread and Smoke Developed rating of 25/50.
- Safety Ratio shall be minimum 3:1.
- Independent test results documenting the compliance of ‘or equal’ products shall be available upon request of the Architect, Engineer or Owner.
*PER MSS-SP-69, TABLE 5.